Friday 30 May 2008

Long time no post

I've been back in the garden since the weather warmed up, which was about the start of April. Gardening during pregnancy gets harder and harder. I convinced my husband to buy me a little plastic greenhouse, and was able to grow many things from seed in there. Over the last month I have been planting out into my tiny veggie garden. So in the garden I have cucumbers, hot peppers, sweet peppers, tomatoes, another hot pepper plant that I bought (because mine took so long to show, I doubted they had taken), garlic which I planted in December, climbing beans, rocket, butter lettuce, apple lettuce (a red leaf), basil, oregano and heaps of parsley. I've also planted marigolds around the tomatoes.
I still have zucchinis, coriander, more tomatoes and more pepper plants in pots, and I'm waiting for a new garden bed to plant them in. If I don't get it soon, it will be too late for the zucchinis and tomatoes! Although I think the eight toms already planted are enough for us. Coriander has proven very difficult to grow. I don't know if that is normally the case, but it certainly has been for me! I started with a window box and planted a row of seeds in there. Only three came up out of about 20 or more. I thought maybe it was too cold, as I had sown those seeds way back in the middle of April. Today they only have one true leaf each, and are about 1 cm high. So I tried again with my mini greenhouse. Two pots with plenty of seed. They are doing much better than the outside ones, but still only about four seedlings per pot. I've used the last of the packet in another attempt in an outside pot, so I'll see how that goes.
I think I almost had heatstroke this afternoon whilst working in the garden! It's so hot now, about 30 c everyday. I suppose 38 week pregnant women should only garden in the early morning or late evening. I can't wait until my mum arrives from Australia and we can share the gardening pleasure together! And I won't be pregnant then either!!! Maybe baby will show up this weekend, my doc thinks so anyway!
I'll take some photos of the garden when I have a bit more energy...

No comments: