Tuesday 31 July 2007

My new energy saving background

I've been lazy and haven't posted here in a while. I don't have a good reason, but I do have a good reason for posting now. My best friend on the other side of the world sent me an email this morning as follows:

For those worried with energy consumption and all its downsides.
When your screen is white, be it an empty word page, or the Google page,
your computer consumes 74 watts, and when it's black it consumes only 59
watts. Mark Ontkush wrote an article about the energy saving that would
be
achieved if Google had a black screen, taking in account the huge
number of
page views, according to his calculations, 750 mega watts/hour per year
would be saved.

In a response to this article Google created a black version of its
search
engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white
version,
but with a lower energy consumption, check it out:

www.blackle.com


So I thought I better log in and change my background from beloved green to an even 'greener' black background. Considering the amount of people that view my page, I'm sure it makes no difference in the general scheme of things, but it's my input for the day. Now I'm off to do some searches on blackle.com

Oh, and a quick garden update: I have some green tomatoes, nothing close to ripening yet. My sweet corn is growing steadily even though it's too late in the season, my broccoli has disappeared, lettuce is going great guns (we eat some nearly every day) and a second crop needs to be transplanted into the garden bed, climbing beans and peas are taking ages to grow-still only 10-20 cm high, capsicums have hardly grown at all in two months and I might pull them out to make space for radish, cucumber and especially zuchinni's are fantastic (my home seeded plants are bigger than store bought seedlings and about four weeks younger, although different variety. All in all I'm quite happy with my garden!

2 comments:

Gordon Mason said...

Funnily enough a colleague at work demonstrated Blackle to me only this morning. She is our monitor monitor, who goes round each evening to make sure we've turned all our computer screens off [to save energy] and shouts at us if we haven't. Gosh, it's fun in the civil service!

Matron said...

Sarah, your photo is getting rave reviews on my DOGBLOG. Best wishes to Crispy and Sampson. xx